Wednesday, June 4, 2008


Last night was the 1st of the 3 hour classes we will have to take over the next month and a half. We have 7 classes total before we can be certified as foster/adoptive parents. While we are taking the classes the social worker who is assigned to us will do our home study. So by the time we're done with our classes our home study will be done too. And then it's just a matter of time before we're matched with children. I will say that I'm still afraid of the whole foster to adopt process because I know it will rip my heart out to have a baby and then have to let them go if the court says they must be returned. But one of the good things that we learned last night is that we're being certified to be placed with a child that will stay with us if their parent's rights are terminated.

We have a huge stack of papers to fill out over the next couple of weeks. But I expected that, actually I expected even more forms. It was interesting to see the wide range of people that were there last night. There were some couples there that are younger than we are, a middle aged couple that's getting married in a few weeks, several school teachers, and even a single young man that's getting ready to graduate college next week. I'm looking forward to continuing this process, and seeing where it takes us.

2 comments:

mesa said...

oh Ashley, I'm so excited to hear about this foster to adopt journey of yours! How exciting! I'm glad to hear the child will be placed with you if the parents rights are terminated. You and Rob are going to make wonderful parents. You are already a wonderful mommy and daddy.

Lisa said...

I actually spoke on a panel for MAPP a couple times and I'm gonna tell you what I told them:

1. Don't be afraid to take a chance. You WILL get through the loss, but it will hurt.

2. Fight like crazy to protect your children. They make be taken from you for doing this, but fight for them anyway, their safety depends on it.