Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Coming together

We bought the crib mattress and some more baby proofing items last night. I was hoping to get the same mattress that my co-worker suggested from Target. It was a $55.00 Sealy mattress with 150 steel coils so it would be nice and firm. But our Target was out. I checked Burlington Coat Factory and Wal-Mart too. But neither of them had a decent firm mattress for a good price in stock. So I ended up at Toys R Us, and thankfully they had a nice Sealy 150 coil mattress that's nice and firm in stock for $69.99. I jumped on it since our home study is next Monday! It fits perfectly in our crib, and Rob and I had a time trying to figure out how to install the bumper pad. I'm not sure I like it that much. I may have my mother-in-law add some more ties to it so it will be tighter around the sides of the crib. We're still having a heck of time getting some of the cabinets secured since the handles are so far apart. We've tried 3 different locking systems and none of them fit! Any suggestions would be appreciated. We're at the point now of trying to move the handles on the cabinets, but I'd prefer not too since that will leave some ugly holes in very visible cabinets.

Tonight is Class # 5 which will be on discipline. I think it's going to be interesting to learn about other forms of discipline. Because both Rob and I were raised getting our butts spanked, and that's not an option with a foster child.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Don't forget the plastic mattress cover! If they, they will decorate them quickly with poop and puke. Smiley went poop smearing this afternoon and diaper digging, yuck!

mesa said...

hey Ashley- I highly reccomend the book "Baby Bargains" it will give you all the things you need and what ratings they get.. also.. they will tell you that bumpers should not be in the crib! It could suffocate baby! Not sure if your SW will require you not have one either. I'd check on that though. I had bought one but don't use it at all. Have fun at class tonight!

Maddie's Mom said...

Mesa, I've got an older copy of Baby Bargains that my friend gave me when I was pregnant with Maddie. I've been looking through it again, but I probably need a new one. I've been thinking about taking the crib bumper off more and more or possibly getting one of the breathable mesh ones.

Dream, I picked up the mattress cover last night. Thanks for the reminder!