Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Time for a Change

I've been doing a lot of complaining the past few weeks, and I'm tired of only seeing negative things on my blog. So today will be a trip down memory lane for me. I pulled out my MP3 player the other day and charged it up to take to work. I've been sitting at work listening to a huge range of music that spans too many genres to count. A song came on that I haven't heard in a while and it immediately made me think about my best friend from school, Sarah. The song was "Sex and Candy" by Marcy's Playground, and the year was 1998, my senior year in high school. Sarah started out being a friend of a friend that I re-introduced to that year. We hit it off instantly and were inseparable ever since. We were a pair of crazy ass, Newport smoking, loud mouth, alcohol loving, ghetto acting bitches. We brought out the best and the worst in each other. She's my sister from another mother. Sarah drove a big old F-150 with no heat or air. That truck had so much junk in the cab you would expect to find a dead body buried under it one day.

I remember dropping my date for Homecoming to hang out with Sarah because she got dumped. We spent that night watching old movies, eating junk food, and reading her mom's copy of The Joy of Sex. LOL! Sarie effed up and didn't get to graduate with us, but that didn't stop us from celebrating together anyway. As soon as the ceremony was over we were back together again hanging out all night. College took us in seperate directions for a while. Sarah went the band/party route and I went the school/work route. But no matter what direction our lives went in we managed to stay close. We were right there when one of us needed the other.

When Sarah got pregnant, I was there the whole time. It was a hard pregnancy, and we thought we might lose her. But mom and baby made it through wonderfully even though Danielle was born 6 weeks early. I was Sarah's Maid of Honor and she was my Matron of Honor. I'm Danielle's godmother. And one day Sarah will get to be my child's godmother. Life is keeping us both busy and we don't see each other much, but I know that I would drop everything to be by my sister's side and she would do the same for me.

1 comment:

Kris said...

Love your trip down memory lane! it was fun reading! So much has happened to you lately. Things will get better with L. Just hang in there. I can relate to how you feel when she so easily goes to anyone. Just remember what a special effect you're having on her life. : )
p.s. I didn't think you were being negative. We just need to vent sometimes, right?