Sunday, July 5, 2009

I'm just wondering is it normal for a 2 year old to take 1 1/2 hours to eat a bowl of cereal or take 45 minutes to eat a small muffin and half of a banana? L and her eating drives me crazy. She can't eat a burger as a burger, like picking it up and biting it. Nope, she starts taking it apart and rubbing it. Yep, she rubs everything she eats except for fruit for minutes and minutes. She sits there and caresses the food and then she tears it up. She may or may not eat more than a bite or two if you don't sit there and feed her. But I'm sorry this child is 2 and needs to learn to self feed. The annoying thing is that she feeds herself at daycare, but that's it. With us or anyone else if she's not being fed then she is molesting the food. Then she starts rubbing the fork or or spoon all over her face. I have no clue if this is normal or not. I've never been a around a child that acts like this so I'm not sure. I wonder if she's autistic. The therapist that evaluated her said that it's possible because of some of her odd behaviors, but she suggested that we give her a few months of speech therapy before we have her tested for autism. So I guess we will wait unless something changes.

3 comments:

Misty Dawn said...

my son licks everything... licks and licks and takes little bites... and smells everything before he puts it in his mouth... it is so odd to me but i have no idea what to do about it.

Lisa said...

Occupational therapists are good with feeding issues. J does this sometimes. Sometimes it works if I take the food, bring him to his room a little while, then try again 10-15 minutes later. Will she drink ok? Add instant breakfast(a flavor she likes)to her milk, if she can drink milk, and at least she will get some nutrients.

Maddie's Mom said...

Thanks for the info about the occupational therapist. My BFF is one and it just never crossed my mind to mention this to her. She'll be in town in a couple of weeks so I'll talk to her. L is lactose intolerant, but she does drink soy milk with no problem. I'll have to grab some of that instant breakfast stuff when I go shopping this week.