Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Holding Patterns and Crap

funny pictures
moar funny pictures

We had our 2nd and last home study visit on Monday. It went pretty well, I think. I was pissed off at first because I got off work at 3 thinking that the visit was at 5, but the case worker showed up at 3:30! Rob made the appointment with her, but he told me that it was going to be at the same time as the 1st visit. She shows up while I'm still trying to finish up stuff around the house. I hadn't even had a chance to clean the nasty, stinky, full of crap in 1 day cat box! I had to sneak around the house while she interviewed Rob and scoop the cat poop because I knew she was going to inspect all of the rooms on this visit. It just drove me nuts to not have the house up to my standards when she got here. I guess I'm anal about stuff like that. I know that normal people don't have a spotless house, but I would at least like the kitchen counters to be clutter free. Ughhhh!

And then there was Rob and his interview. For some reason he felt the need to volunteer information about his family that was better left unsaid. I know we had the conversation about not giving any extra information that's not necessary. But at some points I felt like Rob was on a psychiatrist's couch telling his life story and his whole family's life story. God I hope that she doesn't think bad about us because of the crap that Rob's family has done over the years.

The case worker looked around the house and went through this long list of safety questions with us. She measured all of the bedrooms and checked out where we have the guns locked up. Now we're just waiting for the home study to be completed. She has all of our stuff and our references so now she has to type it all up. Her goal is to have it done by the end of the month. I was so hoping that we would have this done before then, but I'm not holding my breath. So know we're just waiting...

I've been researching and planning our anniversary trip to Dallas for the past few days. I'm trying to actually budget this trip, and find ways to stay within our budget like buying a discount book. This book has half off coupons for tons of the stuff we want to do while we're in Dallas visiting my bro, and it only cost me $2! I've found a nice hotel to stay in for our actual anniversary that's close to the Indian restaurant that we want to go to for a special dinner and the outlet malls. We'll leave here on Saturday and spend a couple of days either with my brother or with his girlfriend at her house. We haven't decided yet, but I'm leaning towards his girlfriend because she's got a better guest room and her family loves to cook and cook and cook! I'm looking forward to just getting away for a few days with nothing to do, but have fun.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

ouch :(

Anonymous said...

When I read your post I had to laugh because my husband did the same thing during our home study. He does not have a filter, and I was sitting there the whole time thinking, "Shutup. Pleeeeease shut up." I will be thinking about you and praying that the social worker gets that home study done sooner! : )

Lisa said...

Your worker is thorough! Ours said the house was fine as long as it was cleaner than her house(and if it's like her car I rode in, it's not clean). Get to know and love your home development worker because she can bend rules and reccommend you for placements. Ours is like a grandma to the kids. She not only came to Princess' funeral, but the arrangements, the prayer service after, then spent several hours with us after the service. Ours will advise us on placements, but always allow us to make the final decision and support us.

Anonymous said...

Man, our SW barely glanced around our house! I would be the same way as you about the clean house tho - ack, I am OCD :) I have heard of soooo many husbands who start spilling their guts all over the place. I told mine to KEEP HIS MOUTH UNDER CONTROL, LOL. I'm sure it's fine - NO family is perfect!!