Monday, December 22, 2008

The Little Dress

There's a little pink and white dress that's been in the nursery closet since April 2006. It was bought right after we had our big ultrasound and confirmed that we would be having Madison. I bought it to bring her home in since she was due in September. A little white and pink flowered onesie covered in a pink cotton dress with a a bow and flowers embroidered on it. This dress is the one thing that I have never been able to let go of. All of the other stuff we bought in anticipation of our daughter has been washed in preparation of possibly being placed with a girl. This dress is still hanging in the back of the closet with it's tags attached. How can one inanimate object hold such power over a person? How can you get so attached to something you've never used? How can all of your dreams and wishes be encased in one thing so small? I've toyed around the with the idea of giving the dress to my soon to be born niece. Part of me thinks it won't hurt so much to pass it on to someone that I love so much. Rob has told me several times to ask Maddie what she wants me to do with her dress. But I already know what her answer would be. That's a baby dress so give it to a baby. She's a big girl now. And giving up that dress doesn't mean that I'm giving her up. She's not the dress. She's our angel, and she'll be with us no matter what.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it's absolutely okay to keep a 'memory' from that special baby. She may not be here in person, but she's here in spirit. My mother keeps a hat box in her closet with a few items of us kid's 'firsts' including our first outfit. She is your baby regardless, you should put it away for safe keeping. I have things from my grandmother that I occasionally take out to remember her by...I know it's only a dress to some people but to you it's special. Don't let anyone tell you different!!

Lisa said...

I personally could not let it go. I have a box of clothes from Princess that is off limits to anyone else, but you have to do what is best for you. Maybe your niece could wear it and return it when she grows out of it.